Thursday 9 April 2009

APAD #9: Don't Start Sleeping with Nihilists

You ask how I knew your boyfriend
would turn out to be a bastard.
It's very simple,
He once said to me:
"All suffering is optional
All unhappiness is voluntary."

Which is bullshit
Which is idiotic
Which is moronic -

You and I know there's always 3 or more good reasons
To lay under our beds screaming
At the sheer horror of being alive.
There's always 3 or more good reasons to cry
And if you're happy all the time...

"Then something's seriously wrong with you?"
I'd say so. I mean,
Don't start sleeping with nihilists
But remember that there's a spectrum
and sitting right at one end or the other is all wrong.

Also,
It wouldn't hurt to ask about
criminal records.

[End. Well, you're only 18 once. Written whilst listening to: Lost Coastlines by Okkervil River. Not edited]

No comments: