Friday 3 April 2009

APAD #3: The Young Poet Meets A Fan

Dear teenage girls:
Leave yr boyfriends.
Just because he's nice to you
doesn't mean he's nice;
You should have heard
what he was saying last night -

I was lying on my back in the dark
Listening to the popular consensus conversation outside
Drinking and getting as comfortable as a carpet allows -
Then he stumbles in, falls down and says...
" "
some things that really don't need repeating,
then he laughs into the black.
I shift so I don't have to face him.

So the girl - Blonde
Blue eyes (enough shadow to cloak a small town in darkness
for long enough that people start to ask questions)
she
says she took my advice
leaves a casette tape on my desk

(so I walk home wondering
if I still own a working tape player.
Turns out I do, it was one I had as a small child
all big red, white, yellow buttons, chunky plastic
seemed... inapropriate...)

I hit play, and her words slide out the speakers
they sound like they're trying to stay as
close to the ground as possible
And what she says is:
"I took your advice, after he came into the bedroom
and said: If you don't love me by sunrise
I will make you pregnant.
I still don't know if he was joking
But I knew it was time to leave"

Next time I saw her she was fronting some post-post-punk post-rock post-feminist post-irony musical perfomance project, reciting those same words whilst three girls in orange bikinis spat white noise out of their broken guitars through broken guitar amps.

I didn't really "get it" as a piece.
One tall guy stood next to me sighed
(mistaking my curiosity for wonder)
and said "She only dates girls now you know"
And I suddenly feel bad...
"I said some stupid things to her I just...
I just wanted her to take me seriously."
And I feel worse abo...
"Bitch"
And I don't feel so bad about what we did
when she came back to ask if I enjoyed the tape.

[End
I wrote some of this, then realise it should OBVIOUSLY be a poem by my Young Poet charachter (star of Teenage Poetry Blues Remix and Twenty Something Poetry Blues Edit, so far). I imagine the girl visits him after seeing him at an open mic event and mistaking him for a sensitive soul, or at least an artsy type. Dear fictional girls - Always remember, the Young Poet is (above all things) a total bastard. I mean, I am a bit for writing him I suppose...
Written whilst listening to: Parenthetical Girls.
Edited whilst listening to: Imperial Teen.]

1 comment:

Richard said...

I like this one a lot. Think 'I didn't really get it as a piece' might be a stronger ending than the talky bits though.