Wednesday 8 April 2009

APAD #8: Yoshi

We thank god (just in case)
for shorts, as your skirt fights with the wind.
(Second dress, you said)
And the weather's not great but it's good enough
for us and we always have spent the better part of the day indoors
(so long since you've seen a human being
that you've developed your own way of eating, you said)
Then you beat me repeatedly at Mario Kart
(Except for steering and aiming,
you're amazing, you said)
I hum "Same as it ever was, same as it ever was"
Safe in the knowledge
That some things will always be good.

"You're going to write today's poem about this,
aren't you?" you said.

[End. Written 5 minutes before midnight whilst watching the Wire (DEADLINE PANIC), but influenced inevitably by the fact that I listened to Okkervil River's "Calling and Not Calling My Ex" at least five times in the last day or so. "God (just in case)" is quoted from "You'll Need Those Fingers For Crossing" by Los Campesinos! (from my favourite record ever). "Same as it ever was" is the best five-word-pop-lyric ever, from "Once in a Lifetime" by Talking Heads. Thanks to my good friend Hannah for giving all my material by hanging out with me this afternoon]

No comments: