Saturday 11 April 2009

APAD #11: Boxticking

(Notes from Poetcountry #1)

You asked if I remembered that time you caught salmonella
from the eggwhite in those homemade Chicken McNuggets
that Polly brought to my Election Results Watching Party in '04

I am pretty sure none of that ever happened so I don't say anything,
and continue poking random butons on the broken toy keyboard
my older brother got me for my birthday last week,
until I happen upon a particularly abrasive series of "notes".

"It sounds like your ex-girlfriend's band" I laugh.
"It wasn't a band" you snap "It was a perfomance project"
I stick my tounge as far into my left cheek as it'll go
and stare you straight in the eyes.

You correct yourself:
"Not that I care anymore..." A long pause.
"Anyway, I'm bored. What are we doing this evening?"
I pass on the information that Michael has invited us to his fictional cocktail party.

"... So it's not a real party?"
I explain that all the cocktails sered will be taken from fictional sources.
Resultingly some of them are incredibly dangerous and, more importantly, digusting.
"Much like some of the people drinking them" you add.

***

Dangeroulsy drunk on the Inverse Terrorism they'd shared,
They stumbled home through the snow
and had satisfactory-if-slightly-dull sex on the sofa
in front of CNN.

"The economy's still fucked then" Cath said.
"Did you REALLYget salmonella?" Jeff asked.
"Yes. I forgot that you didn't know me then." she replied.
"I did. We'd been friends for two years at that point."
"Well..."

[End. God knows, just some nonsense. TOMORROW's will be good. Her ex-girlfriend is the girl from The Young Poet Meets a Fan, obvs. (Lookitme, building a universe) Oh, the Terrorism is my favourite fictional cocktail and comes from Pictures for Sad Children. The Inverse Terrorism then is a drop of tequila in a pint of Bailey's. It does not need pointing out that a Fictional-Cocktails party would be a TERRIBLE idea. Written whilst watching Persepolis. Not edited.]

No comments: