Thursday 11 September 2008

Midweek Musings: Pre-EOTR, TVOTR and TNV

Times New Viking are giving me a headache as I write this. The songs are so good and I do like them but I can only deal with that much noise for a certain length of time. I do respect what they do and all but... have you heard their Daytrotter session? Where you can actually hear the songs without straining so hard? It's all the fun with less of the pain. I'm not saying that's necessarily better or worse, I'm just glad that it's there.

At the very, very opposite end of the production spectrum, the new TV on the Radio album is astonishingly good. The second half in particular is amazing. I'm not going to upload any tracks for fear of being bombed by the RIAA or something but... I will be buying that record on release day and you should to. If you want to sample it before doing so, you can hear it at various places on the internet. Kyp and Tunde have two of the best voices in indie rock and they get some really wonderful vocal melodies to work with on this album (See my current favourite: Shout Me Out). Dave Sitek is still a genius and proves he can do more than glossy fuzz: Family Tree features ghostly pianos and feels like a funeral in Heaven*. Oh and Dancing Choose is... well: "He's a WHAT? He's a WHAT?! He's a newspaper man!". Sold.

As I said last post: No My Week in Lists this weekend because I will be at "End of the Road" festival in Dorset. Which is cool for me, because I get to see maybe my current favourite band ever [The Mountain Goats] and half of my favourite broken-up band ever [Hefner, Darren and Jack Play Hefner are doing their last ever (?) set at the festival] all in a field in southern England. It's going to be worth the seven hour coach journey. It'll also be cool because some of my good friends who I speak to regularly online but rarely get to see in the real world will be there. One of them is Richard who's blog is linked in the sidebar there, the wonderful Thirty Three Forever. If he does a write-up of the festival it'll probably be better than mine.
But failing that: Great big fat review/report post on Monday.

Enjoy your weekend, all. Listen to that TV on the Radio album if you get the chance and if you're a Legal Music Only Type [and I respect that, whatever] then pre-order that thing. I imagine for those of you in the same age bracket as me, this may be your last weekend before leaving for University? It's mine! Do good things. Be good people. Talk to you Monday.

*Oh god I am so sorry that is such a terrible, pretentious meaningless thing to say. BUT IT DOES!

No comments: